Making a plaster cast of an animal track is fairly simple and there’s only a few inexpensive materials you’ll need.
- Plaster of Paris – you can find this at any hardware or home improvement store. It comes in a 5 pound box shaped like a milk carton. One box is plenty for most tracks. I carry my plaster in a ziploc freezer bag.
- Cardboard or heavy paper strips to make a dam or enclosure around the track to pour the plaster in. You can just use mud, sticks or rocks and skip carrying the paper strips.
- Spoon or knife for mixing, again you can use a stick and eliminate carrying extra tools and weight.
- Paper clip or picture hanger to insert in the cast if you wish to hang it on a wall.
- Water, you can carry water with you but I always carry 1 or 2 extra ziploc bags to gather my own water after I find a track to cast. I may have to hike a ways to gather water but it’s much easier than carrying extra weight around all day.
The video below will show you step by step on how to plaster cast an animal track. Enjoy and enjoy the Outdoors!!
Plaster Casting Animal Tracks